Sunday, July 6, 2008

Top Ten Courtroom Drama

AFI's top ten films in the "Courtroom Drama" category:



1. To Kill A Mockingbird
2. 12 Angry Men
3. Kramer vs. Kramer
4. The Verdict
5. A Few Good Men
6. Witness For The Prosecution
7. Anatomy of a Murder
8. In Cold Blood
9. A Cry In The Dark
10. Judgement At Nuremburg

I guess this is a good list. 1 and 2 are correct in my opinion but I just don't think of Kramer vs. Kramer as a "courtroom drama". It is full of drama but not so full of courtroom if I remember it right.
I have to confess this is my weakest category of them all. I can think of many films I like that would fall into this category: Francis Coppola'a The Rainmaker from the John Grisham book, Tucker: A Man and His Dream, Hitchcock's The Paradine Case, and The Man Who Wasn't There all come to mind. But, as of this writing I haven't seen four films on this list, *GASP!*, I know, I know! (The Verdict, Witness For The Prosecution, In Cold Blood, and I hadn't even heard of A Cry In The Dark until I saw the AFI special.) Oh well, even "movie kahns" have chinks in their armor. What I do know is that if they had a top ten for Courtroom Comedy then My Cousin Vinny would be at the top of my list and Legally Blonde would NOT be on it! Okay, it might, since I can't think of enough movies to fill the rest of the ten. That's why AFI passed on that idea.

BTW, I bet there are scores of people outraged that A Few Good Men wasn't number 1! All I can say to that is- "You Can't Handle The TRUTH!"....sorry, couldn't resist.

No comments: