Saturday, July 11, 2009

Where does Dorkdom end and begin?

If you watch lots of Harry Potter and Star Trek are you a dork? Or do you become a dork only when you throw parties and dress up like Harry Potter or Spock. I myself enjoy a little Star Trek (not Harry Potter so much) but I would never dream of going to a convention or wearing a Klingon costume. I also enjoy the occasional video game but don't frequent conventions or wear my World of Warcraft character costume to work. I am just wondering at what point people cross the "dork" line and become extremely lame or "girl repellant".
I like Star Wars (the original series, anyway) and I thought the new Star Trek movie was great, but I would never dream of going to an opening night showing at midnight dressed as a Romulan or Jedi. I guess that's where I draw the line of "dorkdom". Actually, I did stand in line for 3+ hours to get Episode 1 tix (and got rained on!!) but I realize now that was one of the stupidest decisions ever! (besides buying baby wipes at a gas station....never do that)

I guess those well-meaning dupes in the documentaries Trekkies and Trekkies 2 are textbook dorks but I'm sure others have different parameters. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Everett said...

ANIMAL!!!

Dignan said...

I might do a muppet top ten. I have several favorites not in the poll.