Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Favorite Animal Flicks

(In the latest poll Lance Armstrong is the runaway favorite for today's "greatest athlete")
(You "picked" Neil Peart)



You will notice that in this list of my ten favorite animal movies that most of them are one animal. I think it's because movies about horses are usually a little more sophisticated in the storytelling than the average man's best friend movie. I don't know. I didn't include any animated movies, thrillers like Jaws, or fictional animal movies like King Kong. If you're asking why Garfield and Stuart Little aren't on this list maybe you should be reading someone else's blog!


Seabiscuit

Based on a true story and full of great performances. This is just a great story.


Dreamer

Also based on a true story and features some great acting.


Babe

Also based on a true story....just wanted to make sure you were reading. Actually this is the only film of its kind nominated for Best Picture. My kids wonder how I can hate talking animal movies but like this movie (and another movie on this list) I just don't want CGI animals with their mouths moving. That's too cheesy for me, kind of like that stupid talking baby commercial. Actually I hate talking (or DANCING!) babies even more.


My Friend Flicka

Excellent family film that stands the test of time. Avoid the remake Flicka which is family dysfunction, not fun.


Toby Tyler

Underrated Disney classic with the unforgettable "Mr. Stubbs" the chimp. My kids love this one.


Big Red

Speaking of underrated Disney films, this one isn't available anwhere but I remember loving it as a kid. It is very typical Disney which means overly dramatic but it's a good substitute for Old Yeller if you want a happier ending. And by the way, Old Yeller and The Yearling are both excellent too despite the sad endings.


National Velvet

Another classic horse movie starring Mickey Rooney and a very young Elizabeth Taylor.


Lassie Come Home

This is the most recognizable and accessible Lassie film with young Roddy McDowell (also in My Friend Flicka) and again Elizabeth Taylor.


Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

I realize this has talking animals (but NOT CGI!) and is a remake of the Disney classic from the 60s, but I don't even remember seeing that one and it's impossible to find. My kids have enjoyed this one for years and I have to admit I get caught watching it with them and try not to cry. I'm getting misty just thinking about Sassy falling in the water. (Do I really need to say I'm kidding?)


The Thin Man series

These aren't really "animal" movies but what would Nick and Nora do without Asta? Exactly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But there's that one animal flick... with John Candy and BobCat Gulthwait.... c'mon! TMac

Dignan said...

You mean Goldthwait? The only John Candy animal flick I know is that made for TV movie Kavik, the Wolf Dog. Unless you mean the Mog he played in Spaceballs.