Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Top Ten Breakfast Cereals!

Recently ESPN radio's Colin Cowherd put together a breakfast bracket combining people's favorite cereals with March Madness. Honey Nut Cheerios ultimately won, but that wouldn't even make my top twenty. So I thought I would share my personal faves for a well-balanced breakfast.

10. Super Golden Crisp



For those mornings when I can't find an IV bag to mainline sugar right into my veins I eat this or it's Kellogg cousin Smacks.

9. Corn Flakes



The original classic is still great with bananas.

8. Lucky Charms



My parents pretty much never bought this for me as a kid so I made up for it years later. Once after a diabetic coma I saw "orange stars" flying around the room. They're not just delicious they're "magically" delicious.

7. Frosted Flakes



If you eat just one bowl you deserve some kind of medal. I usually eat two or three before I get warmed up good and when I get that disgusting sugar/sodium aftertaste I always wonder if it was worth it. Plus I tried to feed some of these to a tiger once at the zoo. He didn't say anything about them being "g-r-r-reat" but I did have my season pass revoked. And by the way this was runner-up on Cowherd's bracket.

6. Fruity Pebbles



At one time this was my absolute favorite. It has slipped over the years but for the money it's still one of the best to me.

5. Cocoa Pebbles



Cowherd's ESPN bracket combined the two "Pebbles" cereals which doesn't make sense, however I have them back to back. I used to work nights and when I got home around 2 AM there was nothing more satisfying than a bowl of this chocolatey goodness. I'd stab Barney in the eye if he took some of mine!

4. Oatmeal Crisp with Almonds



Here's one of those "healthy" adult cereals you eat to look like you care about your cholesterol when in fact it's loaded with sugar and you eat it because it's yummy.

3. Cinnamon Toast Crunch



After you've finished off the box in one sitting take that sand-like mixture left at the bottom of the box and pour it onto a piece of toast with butter and make ACTUAL cinnamon toast!

2. Quaker Oh's



The cheapest non-generic cereal in the store and still sooooo good. I have to buy at least two boxes at a time because at my house a box lasts a maximum of 2 days. At $2 each I should probably start buying three at a time.

1. Cracklin' Oat Bran



Sounds healthy doesn't it? Yeah, that allows you to hold your head up in smugness as they check it at the store, then you get home and basically pour milk over sponge cake and chow down on bucketloads of sugar. I avoid reading the number of calories and I usually feel guilty for eating more that one bowl, but it never stops me from doing it again the next time!

Did I fail to mention one of your favorites?

No comments: