Some scenes you just have to rewind and watch again. These are my top ten faves:
10. Steve McQueen slapping Sally Struthers silly in The Getaway
9. Legolas bringing down the Oliphant in The Return of the King
8. On a train station platform Ike Clanton and another Cowboy see the Earps in the train and ask "Where's Wyatt?" "Right here!" Wyatt yells and shotguns the nameless Cowboy. Cowardly Ike falls on the ground begging for mercy as Wyatt holds him with the shotgun saying, "...I see a red sash, I kill the man wearing it. Run you cur! Tell all the other curs the law is coming! Tell 'em I'M coming and Hell's coming with me! Hell's coming with me!" - Tombstone
7. On the moon of Endor scout troopers are chasing Luke Skywalker and company. Luke falls from his speeder and turns to face the enemy who turns after him. Shots fire, Luke deflects them with his light saber then just as the speeder passes he chops off the front causing it to spin wildly and crash into a massive tree with a fiery explosion. Luke is finally kicking some butt!- Return of the Jedi
6. The shortest scene on this list and maybe the shortest I can think of: After unsuccessfully inviting Chaz and the boys to come to the cemetary, Royal Tennenbaum stands beside a grave with flowers, but NOT the grave of his mother which he visited previously. This time he pays his respect to Chaz's deceased wife, alone with no one to impress or curry favor with. This is the first unselfish act we are witnesses to and the first step toward redemption.- The Royal Tennenbaums
5. Dignan, Bob, and Anthony sit at a table in Bob's house with plans for their upcoming "job" scattered all over the table. As Dignan tries to go over the plan, Bob picks up the gun and examines it muttering, "how many bullets does this thing take?" Dignan yells at Bob to put the gun down so he can concentrate, to which Bob says, "but, I payed for the gun".
Dignan: Say that again, say that one more time, repeat what you just said.
Bob: I payed for the gun
Dignan: He's out (to Bob), you're out too(to Anthony), and I don't think I'm in either (as he's walking out of the room) No Gang!"- Bottle Rocket
(Actually, I could fill this list up with scenes from Bottle Rocket)
4. After Victor Laszlo leads a rousing rendition of La Marseillaise, Major Strasser tells Captain Renault to close the cafe. Renault protests that he has no reason to close it, to which the Major responds, "find one". Captain Renault blows his whistle and shouts "This cafe is to be closed until further notice!"
Rick: On what grounds?
Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
Marcel Dario as the croupier appears immediatley behind the Captain and says, "Your winnings, sir."
Renault: Thank you very much
3. Indy is frantically searching for Marion in the streets of Cairo when suddenly the crowd parts revealing a black clothed swordsman with a gigantic sword. He deftly swings the sword in every direction laughing at Indiana Jones. Indy promptly pulls out his pistol and shoots him dead. Classic!- Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Clarence brings George to what was "Bailey Park" but is now a snow-coverd cemetary. George scrapes the snow away from his brother Harry's grave revealing the dates 1911-1919.
Clarence: Harry Bailey broke through the ice and drowned at the age of nine.
George: That's a lie! Harry Bailey went to war! He got the Congressional Medal of Honor! He saved the lives of every man in that transport!
Clarence: Every man in that transport died! Harry wasn't there to save them because you weren't there to save Harry. You see George, you really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away?
- It's A Wonderful Life
(gets me every single time)
1. As Jesus stumbles along the road to Golgotha, Judah tries to get close. A Roman soldier pushes him aside and he crashes into a wall and a well of water. Judah grabs a cup and dips it in then quickly brings it to where Jesus has fallen. As Christ reaches for the cup Judah looks into his eyes and suddenly his expression changes to a look of awe and recognition, as though he just looked into the face of God! Another soldier kicks Judah away before Jesus can even drink. Judah stands with the cup in his hand as we see Jesus walk away in the distance, the reverse of the exact same scene earlier when Jesus gave Judah water in the desert. Masterpiece!- Ben-Hur (1959)
What are some of your favorite movie scenes?