Sunday, June 29, 2008

Top Ten Sci-Fi

AFI's top ten science fiction films:




1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Star Wars
3. E.T.
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. The Day The Earth Stood Still
6. Blade Runner
7. Alien
8. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1956)
10. Back to the Future

Very interesting. I don't know why but A Clockwork Orange just doesn't seem like sci-fi to me. I realize it is set in the future but is that all that's required to make science fiction? There are no time machines or space ships or even aliens. Anyway, it IS a classic in some genre and one of Kubrick's best, but Kubrick's very best is at number 1 and no suprise. Star Wars is clearly the next in line, but after that I think there is much room for debate. I am very glad Blade Runner is on the list but I personally would have put The Fifth Element and 12 Monkeys on my list. Hooray for Bruce Willis! I can't believe I just typed that. And I would not have put Terminator 2 on my list. Invasion of the Body Snatchers is like a mix of horror and sci-fi as is Ridley Scott's Alien.
A bit of irony here that James Cameron's Terminator (which is just a glorified B-movie IMO) does not make the list but his more sophisticated sequel does, while the original Alien which has never been as popular as James Cameron's sequel Aliens also makes the list. Hooray for James Cam.....I mean hooray for Ridley Scott! Yay! Poor George Lucas. He worked so hard on those prequels and Howard the Duck and only one of his movies makes the list. And where on earth is Close Encounters of the Third Kind??? Do these AFI voting donkeys really expect me to believe Terminator 2 is a better film than that? Hello, McFly, anybody home? And I bet many people are surprised to see The Matrix missed the cut too. Not me, but some people.

No comments: